There are times when happiness seems like a distant dream. A foggy memory of something you felt once upon a time. For me that time was this week. There were many feelings I had this week and happiness wasn’t one that stayed around for longer than a short glance and wave from across the street.
Throughout this week of anxiety, stress and uncertainty I forced myself to find joy in the moments in time that were meaningful. When thoughts are honed in on the positives it’s easier to re-frame the overall outlook. Retrospectively throughout the week I have actually amassed quite a collection of lovely moments that brought me joy. In reality no one is happy all the time and it is the special connections we share that can bring us happiness. Sometimes it can be helpful to take time to remember those moments and fully appreciate them. Here are some of mine:
- Getting a text from my spouse to say that he had bought dog food. This was a pleasant surprise which meant I didn’t have to go that evening after work.
- Hearing a friend regale a story of accidentally seeing her next door neighbours having sex. This is not the first time this has happened and her describing what she saw made me laugh.
- Getting an avocado pit from a friend to grow into a tree. Now that tree will forever remind me of her and will be connected to us both.
- Putting on my Lana Del Rey vinyl, pouring a glass of whiskey and just sitting down to enjoy them both.
- Talking about challenging work changes with friends. The amazing part about that moment wasn’t the work changes but the knowledge that I am fortunate enough to work with a few people with whom over the years I have forged such strong friendships.
Now that they’ve been written out, it honestly doesn’t seem so bad. Those moments were special to me and I am grateful for all of them. Now feast your eyes on my pit in it’s pre-tree faze.